donderdag 27 februari 2014

Lemon Chicken

Gepost door Unknown op 14:44
Today I'm making lemon pork. Yeah, pork, not chicken. Misleading title much, eh? Sorry about that.


So where did the chicken come from? The recipe, which I got from Bee's blog Rasamalaysia. I like her blog and her recipes, loads of different flavours and a handy index of recipes. If you like a mix of practically all Asian cuisines, give her site a look. I've made quite a few of her recipes, and I really like them. Most of them, that is. Anyway, getting off-topic.

It's a pretty straightforward recipe, and there are clear steps, can't complain about that. The only thing that *somewhat* bothers me is that its just the meat dish without a suggestion for veggies. I'm really not that confident a cook, so I appreciate any hints about what goes well with what. I kinda winged it and went with the standard veggies, spring onion and cucumber because they're a safe bet with Asian dishes, and I like them. It also helps that it was either that or cabbage...

I didn't fail that much while making this recipe, actually. I did change a few things.

Aaaaannnddd, here comes the mess.


 Problem #1: the meat.
I had less meat, as obviously 300 grams of meat is waaaay too much for one person. Also, I had no chicken. Instead, I had a leftover schnitzel, and after getting some advice on whether or not that can be deep-fried, I decided to substitute it.

Solution:
Decide how much meat you wanna eat, which depends on the piece of meat you bought (or have left over and needs to be prepared before it redecorates the inside of your fridge in a nasty green colour), and work with that. In my case, my schnitzel weighed 108 gr (hell yeah I measured that piece of meat, for science). As a result I only made a third of the marinade, figuring it would do. And it did. The sauce was something else entirely.
Nicely coated.


Problem #2: the sauce. Do you decrease the amount of sauce too?

Solution:  Yep, normally you do. One third of everything. I, on the other hand, am being difficult, since I wanted my veggies to be coated in the lemon stuff too. And my rice. I just wanted a lemon dish. Also, sometimes I have the feeling that the amount of sauce in Bee's recipes are barely enough, so I prefer to make extra anyhow. So, in this case: more sauce = better, and I stuck to the original quantity. Worked out perfectly.

Problem #3: Since I'm using a fresh lemon, can I add rind to the mixture?
Solution: Yesshhh, you totes can. Maybe it's not traditional, but I did it anyway. More flavour, looks pretty, I see no disadvantages.

Whisk. Keep whisking every now and then. The cornstarch is evil.
Problem #3: (and this is where I failed, horrendously) How do you prevent the spring onion from disappearing?
I like being able to see what happened to my veggies. (Might be why I hate the Dutch mashed-potato-dishes. It's literally a mash of potatoes and some other veg, often carrot, hutspot. Ewrgh. Just no.) The thing about spring onions is that the upper green parts kinda disappear when you cook em? The white part just doesn't go all floppy on you after touching the inside of a pan.

Solution: Cut them in bigger parts. I do this for the entire green onion. Nice 'n big chunks. The white parts need to cook longer than the green parts, since the green stuff has only one layer, while the white parts has several. So, chuck the white stuff in early (I did that together with my cucumber, or even slightly after), and later add the green stuff.
Don't forget that though... (guess what I did).

I was totally not playing with my food. What could possibly give you that impression?

Problem #4: errrrr, I forgot the green part of the spring onion, and I already served it. What now?

Solution: Have you already eaten everything? No? quickly, throw it on top of your dish, and no one will notice. Especially if you're alone. Ghehehe. Take care to cover it with some warm stuff from your plate, so that it sort of cooks a bit. The green stuff has a very strong/sharp flavour when you eat it raw, and at some point it kinda felt like wasabi. Dunno if you've ever had that, but the sharpness crawls into your nose and decides to sting a bit there, because why the hell not. It's not overly pleasant.

So delish-looking, but sadly still missing the green stalks. Bummer.
Naturally, I forgot the white sesame seeds. I always do. Nothing to be done about it.
It was tasty, though!


0 reacties:

Een reactie posten

 

Kitchen Fails Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos